Friday 28 December 2012

024: lush superbalm review

A close friend of mine is a Lush pimp. He works at Lush and basically tells me I need everything they have. I picked Superbalm up after finishing a sample of it I received in store.

Confession time: I have a really bad flaky scalp problem. I've suffering from some eczema in my scalp, so my head is constantly itchy and the itchiness leads to scratching and sometimes even scabbing. Gross.

I decided to try Superbalm after reading up about it on the Lush website, then hearing about it in store from the associates.
Superbalm comes in a metal twist tin, which is unlike a lot of Lush products. If you're familiar with Lush, a lot of their lotions and creams and similar products come in their iconic black pots. They also have naked products (no packaging), such as soap and massage bars

Superbalm is a vegan-friendly product. Featured ingredients are chamomile, coconut oil, candelilla wax, and salicylic acid. It has a very pleasant coconut scent.
As in the name, Superbalm is a blue-green coloured balm. To use, scoop some up into your fingers and massage it into your scalp- not hair. It's semi-solid, but softens substantially due to body heat. You leave it in your scalp for a couple of minutes, then shampoo it out. You need to shampoo it out because it leaves your head fairly greasy.

I've been using Superbalm for almost a month now every time I wash my hair, and it is FAN-FRACKIN'-TASTIC. I've used so many things on my scalp- apple cider vinegar, Lush's Hair Doctor hair treatment mask, extra virgin olive oil, conditioning lotion- just to name a few, but they are messy and provide so-so, temporary results. However, not only is Superbalm low on mess, it gives noticeable results!

After a month, my scalp has been so much better. It's still been dry and flaky due to the cold weather, but my flakes have been visibly reduced. It would be so dry, itchy and flaky everyday, though, since using Superbalm, I've been able to escape a few days of dryness and flakes. I've also noticed that my scalp hasn't been as itchy.

This wins over the other treatments because I don't need to use this every day for it to be effective, nor is it extremely messy. I love that it comes as a solid balm, but melt in your fingers for easy application. It doesn't make you smell, and you get a lot from one tin. Vinegar works really well, but I need to use everyday to see results and it will leave my hair smelling if I don't wash it after. Olive oil is much too messy and greasy, and with The Hair Doctor, you only get about three uses. I believe I've used my tin of Superbalm about four times already and there is still a lot left. The small sample I received before purchasing this gave me 3-4 uses.
Overall, I love Superbalm, and if my scalp still needs it after finishing the tin, I will purchase it again. It might just be a Holy Grail item for me. It's definitely worth it's price for something that works~

That's it for now~ Later days~

No comments:

Post a Comment